Friday, September 6, 2013

Altered vintage hand mirror by Jen Waugh


Hi everyone and welcome to my first post of September. Our DT theme for this month was a beautiful selection of pastel colours. I'm very much a shabby chic/vintage girl so the colour palette was perfect for me.

I decided to alter a vintage mirror.


I started off by giving the silver mirror a coat of Gesso to prime it. I then gave it 2 coats of pink pastel acrylic paint. The distressed effect you see on the handle is Rub 'n' Buff. 

I downloaded the pretty vintage lady from the internet and then used some Prima Tea Thyme cut off's to frame her on the mirror.



I decided to try and experiment a bit with hand dyeing lace and the selection I got in my pack was perfect. I cut round the edges of one of my doilies and created a trim. I then used the skin of n avocado and boiled it for 15 minutes. Place the lace into the mixture, boil again for 25 minutes and my cream lace is now a beautiful shade of dusty pink. The colour will vary depending on the fabric that you use. I love the effect and will definitely be trying it again. I finished off with some Prima beaded trim and some pretty pink ribbon from my pack.

Hope that you like my vintage altered mirror, see you later in the month.

Jen x


3 comments:

sandi said...

Wow!!!!!!!!! This looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE everything about it!

Patricia said...

Amazing...can not think that boiling Avocado skin can result in a pinkish colour!!! Will have to give that a try for certain!Love how you have placed your beaded trip...such a pretty project once again!

Unknown said...

So pretty Jenn!! I love it...SO shabby too!! Thank you!