Friday, March 22, 2013

Fabric covered minialbum tutorial


Hi there! I made this fabric covered minialbum the other day and thought I'd share with you the steps how to create it. 

It's really easy to put together. All you need is some patterned or plain paper, piece of fabric and a sewing machine. For the closing you'll need a piece of elastic band and also a button. Almost all the materials I used for this album are from my Zeus and Zoe kit.


Firstly, gather your supplies for the pages. Cut them to 6" by 12" in size. I used one sheet of 12x12" paper and a brown paper bag from my kit and threw another piece of patterned paper from my own stash.


Then, grab a piece of fabric slightly larger than the pages - about 14" by 13" in size and fold it in half. Now your fabric piece is 7" by 13". You can of course use two different fabrics, too. 


Sew the fabric pieces together from their edges. Sew a few times round the piece and then let the edge fray a little. The stitched line shall keep the piece fraying too much. Then mark the center of the cover part as well as the pages and stitch the pages to the cover with the sewing machine.


You can leave the album in the previous stage, but you can also add a little something to the cover by using mixed media. I used a stencil to make a chevron pattern to the cover with gesso. Then I colored the covers with Tattered Angels mists. The gesso will resist the mists.


Then sew some details to the front cover and a piece of elastic band to the back cover. I used some great doilies and lace form my Zeus and Zoe kit as decorations!


Finish the album by sewing a button to the front cover for the closing. I also added a strip of paper to which I stamped the title. To keep the look of the album cohesive, I stitched the title in place.

If you want to see the finished album from inside, please check my blog!

8 comments:

Sandie said...

This is gorgeous Riikka, I am looking forwards to making one!!!

Norma Gomez said...

Love this Riikka, thanks for sharing a tutorial!!

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

Wow, this is gorgeous!! Love the snippets of beautiful lace!! Thanks for sharing!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Lauren Hender said...

Thanks! What a wonderful tutorial. Love it!

Denise van Deventer said...

Stunning Riikka...really a beautiful album!

Unknown said...

I love this album the moment I saw it..

Thank you..Truly well done!

Beatrice Lawson said...

That is lovely!! Glad there are so many pics to follow the process.

sandi said...

Looks great! <3!